Friday, May 28, 2010

Nasi Lemak Melbourne Map









I did this for one of my mapping projects for my research, and I thought I'd share it with WWM friends out there. It's a collection of five (or was it six?) places that sell halal Nasi Lemak in Melbourne. This was done last year, so the Nasi Lemak collection has indeed grown, since there are new halal Malaysian eateries popping up in Melbourne.

So what we have here is the Nasi Lemak wrapping, which takes into the shape of how a typical Nasi Lemak is wrapped and sold in Malaysia - wrapped in newspapers and banana leaf. Inside, there is a map of Melbourne, with locations of the places. The map comes with six fold-out cards, and inside each, there is information about the name of the eatery, location, contact information and operation hours. Aside from the photos, I also documented my 'experience' eating each plate of Nasi Lemak (yes, almost like a food reviewer, just for the fun of it!). I created my own 'scales', like taste scale, serving size, how spicy is the sambal, the lemak-ness of the rice, and some other things like that.

That was an interesting experience, since Nasi Lemak is one of my favourite Malaysian food. And I think since I've started this, I can't stop collecting them! Who knows, maybe in the future there will be a collection of Nasi Lemak all over the world outside of Malaysia ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...